Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Chairs are in the Air

On Sunday, I visited the 57th annual Old Town Art Fair in one of Chicago's historic neighborhoods. Since I have not yet enacted my Art Fund (a squirreling away of cash that I can spend freely at these decadent art festivals), I usually just go to browse. I will undoubtedly find an oil painting that thrills me for...um...$5,800. A sculpture that reminds me of lost childhood innocence? $2,000, plus tax.

Sigh.

But this year I came across Judy Hinkes Zeddies. This delightful Chicago printmaker focuses on interiors, with a heavy slant toward chairs. I am such a sucker for a good chair rendition! Her pieces are uncomplicated yet have depth. This elusive combination and the fact that the price tag was a mere $60, propelled me to purchase one of her monoprints. If you love her work too but missed her, don't worry. She's returning to Chicago in August for the Bucktown Arts Fest.

Judy Hinkes Zeddies, Solitude (for Michael)
And while we're on the subject of artistic chairs, I'm very fond of Robert's Chair Tote. This is a great example of how such an ordinary object can be abstracted into the beautiful.

No comments: