Friday, November 06, 2009

Bonus Bone: 100 Abandoned Houses



100 Abandoned Houses by Kevin Bauman

Kevin Bauman has been documenting abandoned and decaying houses around Detroit since the mid '90s. He captures the bleakness and sadness of the once great city crumbling so perfectly.

I have a love/hate relationship with Detroit. I am very proud of coming from a tough, gritty area. But when I return to visit friends and family, I am so sad at what the city has turned into and I'm always happy to flee back to Chicago. I'm still rooting for Detroit. I hope it rises from the ashes like a great phoenix!

Kevin's photos are available for purchase and he plans to give a portion of the proceeds to a charity doing positive work around Detroit.

For these reasons, I, Porcelain, declare this a Design Boner.

3 comments:

Mama C said...

Don't know much about Detroit (other than it gets a bad rap...), but those are beautiful old homes. Someone should save them!

Sarah Cross said...

http://detroitfunk.com/ This guy has been photographing abandoned buildings and such in Detroit for a few years. His work is really inspiring.

Detroit is actually making a concerted effort at rebuilding some of the old neighborhoods like Brush Park.

I love this city and its history. Such beautiful mansions! I'm not giving up hope yet. ;)

Katie said...

Thanks for the link Sarah! Some great photos.

Good to hear that they city is making an effort to rebuild. I remember when I was a teenager the typical response was to bulldoze everything. So sad.