Thursday, February 11, 2010

Worth the Week: First Decent Photo with My New Camera

First Decent Photo with My New Camera

The lovely and creatively supportive Heat just bought me a new camera. Thank you, Heat! Even with a dirty lens (oops to all those smudges up there), my new-to-me Nikon D100 is a million steps up from my former Kodak POS.

I've been wanting to work with an SLR for awhile now. I know that I've improved my photo skills with the (not-all-that-terrible) Kodak but the features are undoubtedly limiting. I was becoming lazy and getting auto-focused into a rut.

After finally picking up, or might I say bench-pressing, my Nikon, I rediscovered that photography is hard! Not only am I dealing with a lot more weight but I'm also struggling with actually having to work. The image above - the old timey fridge - is just barely out of focus. I'm flashing right back to high school and Intro to Photography, when Mr. Bloomfield glared at me over every print I turned in and said, "You sure you don't need glasses?" He was right; I did.

Now I wear contacts (Thank you, Mr. Bloomfield!) but appear to still be a bit shaky-handed (Thank you, Mr. Coffee!). The photo above is aiiiight - interesting composition, decent color - but I know I can do better. So I will continue to play and learn because, like all things worth the work, reward will come from practice and the ability to focus.

Take one photograph,
trade thought for order and words,
call it Worth the Week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new-to-you SLR! The new gear will be second nature to you before long. Have fun practicing: you'll undoubtedly look back on this learning period one day and realize that some of your best shots happened during it!