Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Organizing: Starting Small

My house has gotten a little out of control lately (think "disorganized," not 4am parties with hookahs and dog fights). I need to find some small (and cheap!) project that will cut my clutter stress instantly and get the ball rolling.
I am thinking socks.
So do I go with the accordion style drawer insert?

32-Compartment Drawer, at The Container Store

Or do I stay even more linear and go with interlocking cubbies in rows?

Deep Drawer Organizer, at Bed Bath & Beyond

I need to do something in this area soon because I recently stopped balling the pairs together and my drawer has become one big intersockial orgy. Any other ideas?

7 comments:

Barbara said...

I use the interlocking cubbies because they are flexible and when I revamp or ever need different sizes I can swap from other drawers that I have organized. I use these for my makeup, jewelry, pens in the "junk" drawer, socks, and alongside my cutlery organizer for an extra cubby.

Katie said...

I'd go for the interlocking cubbies. The drawer looks like it would get annoying and it wouldn't be using the space all that well.

The Architectrix. said...

I guess I'm okay with the sock orgies . Organizing sock drawers brings Jon Arbuckle to my mind more than anything else.

Now, junk drawers on the other hand... I'd take my cue from the rearrangeable tackle boxes and find strips with slots in them for interlocking and create my own grid. Those printed cardboard magazine holders would be fun to try to play with!

chinesetwine said...

I like the drawer insert thingy only b/c I don't have the faith in myself to neatly fold socks to fit into the interlocking drawers. At least with the other thing, I can cram a pair into their own little cubby.

nessie said...

While the versatility of the interlocking drawers implies greater usability, I have to agree with chinesetwine---it wouldn't take long at all before I stopped neatly folding pairs into the interlockers. However, the individual cubbies of the accordian thingy could only hold one pair each (or two of those little Japanese slipper socks, I guess) which is more like instant organization....after you take the time to pair 'em!

drey said...

i'd tend to agree with chinesetwine :)

stuffing socks into squares is ... well.. therapeutic! :P

Anonymous said...

my house is in bad shape too -- I have bags of socks which fills me with shame. I actually keep my socks with the clothes they are used with ... ie running socks with workout clothes in workout clothes draw ... dress socks in drawer near work clothes...