Friday, May 18, 2007

Bonus Bone: Prayer Glasses

Prayer candles (or, as I call them, "Jesus candles") have littered my space since I was in middle school. I usually lose track of them or move before I have the chance to burn them all the way down. Now that I've seen that you can make them into drinking glasses (!), I'll be sure to keep them around.

Which leads me to the technicalities of the project, can you reuse candle containers as drinking glasses? Is there really a way to clean out the wax completely? AT - New York covered wax removal awhile ago but they weren't concerned with drinking from the same receptacles. The other option is finding a vendor that sells the empty cylinders. Does anyone know where one can buy the containers without the candle?

The idea of serving chilled mojitos or cranberry lemonade in these tall, festive "Jesus glasses" makes me so happy. I've got to find a way.

For these reasons, I, Cardboard, declare this a Design Boner.

photo credit: Yucatan Living

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That reminds me a little of these glass containers that Pom tea's come in.

(http://pomwonderful.com/pomTeaPeach.html)

We've gotten quite a bit and I reuse them all the time at work, filled with other juices or water or what have you... They even come with a top. Not quite as decorative more just functional, but a bit more earth friendly I would think then buying millions of plastic pop and water bottles.

Anonymous said...

You can always boil out wax, rubbing alcohol is supposed to work, sometimes. But if you boil it out even if there is a little left it wont hurt anyone too bad! Just make sure the lord and savior doesn't boil away either

Alison said...

I love this! I have tons of these candles too and I never thought to use them as drinking glasses. They would be pretty as vases too.

In the past, I've frozen things and then run them through the dishwasher, and that seems to work just fine.