Friday, March 23, 2007

Bonus Bone: Wonderwall Inc.

In honor of my upcoming journey to the east, I thought I would find "something Japanese" to feature as this week's Bonus Bone. I found what I was looking for (delightfully so) in the Tokyo-based design firm, Wonderwall. Established in 2000 by Masamichi Katayama, the firm seems to have cut itself a nice niche in the often "exhilarating" world of Japanese design. Wonderwall focuses mostly on commercial design but has also taken on some residential apartment design.

Originalfake, store in Aoyama, Toyko
What keeps me interested in browsing Wonderwall's portfolio is the fact that every project is unique and a little crazy. The designs often repeat some sense of glamour and luxury but each space is still its own. Wonderwall also does a good job of bringing in the "Super Happy Fun..." element of Japan that makes me smile and say, "I would never do it in my own house but I love to see it here."

Dress Camp, boutique in Aoyama, Tokyo
Hysteric Glamour Aoyama, boutique in Aoyama, Tokyo
Fleg Ebisu W, serviced apartments in Ebisu, Toyko
BAPE Kids, children's boutique in Harajuku, Tokyo
Gallery Kiki, gallery in Hiroo, Tokyo
For these reasons, I, Cardboard, declare this a Design Boner.

If you're loving the design mind of Wonderwall, there is a book and you can buy it! It showcases Katayama's designs up through 2002.

No comments: