Thursday, January 08, 2009

Ambidextrous Artwork

REPRESENT! I work at a library so I see a large amount of art books by known and unknown artists and photographers. Very rarely, however, do I see an exact replica of something from my own home in these obscure books.

His

Imagine my surprise(!) when, as I was flipping through a marvelous collection of photography by Aaron Ruell, I spotted the very same cheesy motel-esque piece of artwork within its pages (see above). Ruell captures fleeting moments of Americana with a taste and feel similar to the dingy/bright work of (my favorite) Nan Goldin. The mass-produced subject of this post is equally at home in a grimy motel room and near the sewer grate, outside my back door (see below).

Hers

To see more of Ruell's work, check out Some Photos from your local library.

2 comments:

seesaw designs said...

awesome :)

Anonymous said...

I had a headboard exactly like this one and just sold it! Too funny :)