Friday, November 30, 2007

Bonus Bone: Poinsettias on Spindles

I've never been one to over-decorate for the holidays but there is something to be said for special items that only come out once a year. Growing up, when the very distinctive-smelling skull candle appeared on the coffee table, I knew Halloween was lurking close behind. Or, when tucked warm in our beds, and finding Burglar Bill replaced with The Berenstain Bears' Christmas Tree, my sisters and I realized Santa was right around the corner. It's about building anticipation and spirit; it's not about how many pine cones and garlands you can fit on your mantle.


I think these Poinsettias on Spindles are beautiful, in a broken-down farmhouse kind of way. The use of found objects paired with the imperfect hand-craftiness is unique and it's obvious they weren't purchased at West Elm or CB2. Yes, yes - they're frivolous and unnecessary but they're also versatile. I see them on the mantle, as a centerpiece, surrounding the stereo or TV, tucked quietly into a bookcase...

Most importantly, I see these objets d'art lasting for years. I envision them easily sliding into the status of tradition, a visual herald to magically accompany the sound of sleigh bells.

And, for some indescribable reason, I just kind of love them.

For these reasons, I, Cardboard, declare this a Design Boner.

1 comment:

Rebecca Beagle said...

I love what you have to say about decorating for Christmas! Such a good point. I can't say I love the poinsettias though... :-)