Friday, September 07, 2007

Bonus Bone: Basswood Noble Stag

I like antlers. And it appears that I'm not the only one. A new antler craze has hit the design world but instead of going old-school and taking out the rifle, we're wising up and offering faux antlers that look just as good (if not mo' stylized and mo' better) than the real thing. I've come across antlers made from wood, plastic, plaster, vinyl, and paint.

In my back porch area, I have a couple of really ugly paneled "windows." The panels were recently replaced and painted a luscious chocolate brown to match the outside doors. Although they looked a hundred times better, they were still boring. So I got out some acrylic paint and made my own semi-trompe l'oeil tribute to the antler phenomenon.

I'm very pleased with the results. It's loose and fun and pretty dang symmetrical for being free-hand. This weekend art project is a Bonus Bone, in and of itself.

However, if I won that ever-elusive lottery, I might have caved in and purchased one of my favorite antler inspirations to hang out back:

Basswood Noble Stag, at the Home Port

Beautiful, methinks. But also $545. Maybe I should take up whittling...

For these reasons (even in spite of the price), I, Cardboard, declare this a Design Boner.

No comments: