Friday, February 23, 2007

Bonus Bone: Wawaya Dolls


It's so hard to pinpoint exactly why I love these handmade dolls. It could be that some have drooping bunny ears and some have lofty little pinwheels on their heads. It could be the single-stitch eyebrows or the double-stitch lashes. Whatever it is, I just love them. Each one has a personality AND the ability to stand upright on their own, which can be hard task for a stuffed plushie.

Ping, a Chinese graphic designer living in Japan, makes these dolls in her spare time. She sells some of them in her etsy shop but most of the good ones I found in her Wawaya flickr set. She also maintains a blog but it's written in Chinese. If your computer (and you) can read Chinese, then you're in good shape but if you rely on the Google translation, you'll end up with a description such as this, "The walk upright man's hands and ears are not filled with cotton, and if they land on it...Danced for joy!"

So I might just have to content myself with seeing the photos of these adorable fabric cupcakes. And I think I just figured out what feature I love the most: the tummies.

For these reasons, I, Cardboard, declare this a Design Boner.

No comments: